What Is the Outlook for Recruiting in 2022
It's about focusing on what you can control and not dwelling on what you can't.
You can't control…
Economic conditions that will increase or reduce demand for talent. Factors that keep candidates out of the market, such as health issues or childcare struggles. Unpredictable Covid variations that could have an impact on the workplace.
You can control…
How you reach out to potential employees to find them where they are.Where you stack up against the competition.The flexibility of your workforce (combining temporary, temporary-to-hire and direct hire options). Branding your company as a place people want to work.Giving candidates who are on the bubble a reason to return to work.
Let's take a look at some of these factors and how staffing firms can address them in 2022
Unemployment and Other Incentives
Federal unemployment benefits have ended. While they are no longer an obstacle to hiring, there are still reasons for people to stay home, stay in their current role, or remain unmoved by your recruiting efforts.
The Question Remains – Why?
The Grass Is Greener
The Great Resignation puts fear into the hearts of many employers, but that doesn't have to be the case. People are quitting jobs in droves because they are unhappy with their compensation, they are treated poorly on the job or they don't feel like the organization reflects their values.
Low Pay Rates
Minimum wage has done a poor job of keeping up with inflation and productivity. By some estimates, it would be upwards of $25 an hour if it had! Most employers cannot afford this rate, particularly for entry-level or low-skilled jobs. It is important to keep up with the effective minimum wage in your city or industry to compete for talent. Including transportation, child care, lunch and other expenses, the effective minimum wage is over $16 an hour and as high as $20 an hour in cities with a high cost of living and low unemployment!
Employees Want More Support
The customer is NOT always right. If your employees are in public-facing or interacting roles, be certain they have your full support. Behind low wages, bad management has always been one of the primary reasons people cite for leaving their jobs. Increasingly, workers are being treated badly by members of the public as well. If a customer complains or an incident occurs, by all means, hear the customer out, and address their (reasonable) concerns if you can, but don't assume they are in the right. Employees who feel their employee has their back are happy, more engaged, and loyal. If you want your company to feel like a family or team, you must be on the same side.
Unless you have on-site daycare or room in your budget to subsidize child care, there's not much you can do about the people staying home to care for their kids. Still, there remains plenty you can do to encourage people to get back to the workplace or leave their current company for yours.
7 Great Messages That Will Encourage People to Get Back to Work Now
- Take advantage of higher pay rates and even bonuses.
- Nail down the best jobs now before there is more competition.
- Add flexibility to your career with temporary and contract jobs.
- Avoid gaps on your resume. They can follow you throughout your career.
- Gain a sense of pride and well-being that comes from having a job.
- Make a career shift – shorthanded employers may be willing to give you a shot.
- Your dream employer may be hiring right now. Get your foot in the door while you can!
Give People A Reason to Choose You
With more jobs to fill and fewer people stepping up to fill them, keeping up with demand has employers and staffing professionals tossing and turning! To fill open job orders, grab the attention of talent with ideas like these:
- Pay Rate: Must be at or above effective minimum wage in your market to attract talent.
- Bonuses: Offer sign-on, assignment completion, quality/productivity, longevity, or referral incentive.
- Benefits: Healthcare/HSA, 401(k), training programs/compensation can set you apart from the competition.
Proactive Reputation Management
Improve your online reviews (get more 4- and 5-star reviews as well as more recent reviews). In staffing, your reviews on Google, Indeed, Facebook, and Glassdoor matter—a lot.
For some bite-sized servings of our marketing for staffing wisdom, check out our Snack Time Videos!
Let the Four Pillars of Recruitment Marketing Guide the Way
The four pillars give you a framework to build your 2022 recruitment marketing strategy on:
- Career Site
- Job Advertising
- Social Recruiting
- Employment Branding
Get our Smart Recruiting Checklist for 190+ ideas on how to use the four pillars to your advantage.
Tell your story and engage job seekers. Show them who you are, why they want to work for you, then make it easy for them to do so! Improve the quality of job posts (always focus on what's in it for them), make the application process simple and friction-free, include clear calls to action, and automate talent re-engagement.Be sure your career site:
- Is optimized for mobile and Google for Jobs
- Offers one-click apply options
- Distributes jobs to top aggregators
- Automates talent re-engagement
Advertise your best jobs, best clients, highest pay rates. Lead with the jobs most likely to get a response. Leverage programmatic to increase job spend ROI on Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and other job sites.
Programmatic job advertising software posts your jobs at the lowest possible cost for the quality and quantity you need while conforming to your optimal monthly spend. It's a strategic and data-driven approach to getting the most from your job spend budget.
- Shift with your recruiting priorities and challenges.
- Systematically experiment to determine what works and what doesn't.
- Provide the hard data needed to analyze results.
- Make real-time adjustments as needed.
- Ensure candidate quality and quantity.
- Work with Indeed and ZipRecruiter!
Check out these Super Simple Tactics to Get More Out of Your Job Board Spend
Implement separate recruiting strategies for active and passive talent using the appropriate social sites for the types of talent you recruit. Include paid and organic content sharing.
Automate social sharing by turning employees into advocates. Get your whole team on board to share job posts and solicit referrals. An automated program like NetSocial gets your whole team into the game! It offers a simple method of increasing your reach and impact!
Also, ask team members to engage their network through:
- Social media
Build your brand, control your reputation, and become a Best Place to Work in your community. By creating the right message and getting that message in front of the right people, you can convey a compelling reason to choose your company over the competition.
- Create and curate great content.
- Jobs (promote best clients and top-paying jobs).
- Stories (convey your culture). Provide good education (articles, blogs, video, social graphics).
- Humor/entertainment (convey personality with content shared).
- Leverage hashtags and user tagging to get more people involved with content shared.
- Use more channels of distribution (email, mail, text, social).
Use Technology to Your Advantage
Programmatic and NetSocial are just a couple of examples of how technology can automate tasks, freeing you to engage with candidates in real-time. They are far from the only options available to staffing firms.
Be sure you are using all of your technology to its full potential. Re-read the manual. Look for YouTube tutorials. Get in touch with the vendor and see if they can share resources, best practices or even offer a refresher course. Even your most annoying task may have an automated solution.
Get the Most From Your ATS
Your applicant tracking system (ATS) is a treasure trove of talent recruiters often neglect. No one stays in a job for 30 years anymore. That awesome candidate you placed two years ago may be ready to make a move. Perhaps the applicant who was adamant they would not consider a temporary or contract position now requires more flexibility in their career. You won't know unless you engage.
As you prepare to recruit in 2022, make time to:
- Re-engage and reactivate talent in your database.
- Verify that contact information, job skills and availability are up to date.
- Find ways to nurture relationships with candidates:
- Don't just text job posts blindly.
- Personalize communication to each individual.
- Use a mix of electronic outreach (email/text), physical mail, and phone calls.
- Ask for referrals as well when you reconnect.
- Implement automation programs to improve the candidate experience, increase redeployments, ask for more referrals, and keep your associates happier.
Re-Engage Talent With Automation
If all that ATS data mining sounds like a lot of work, automation can make it easier. Reach out, re-engage, follow up – with a simple all-in-one tool to keep new candidates on the hook throughout the hiring process or showing current or past employees they are not forgotten.
If your message finds them at the right time, they may be coming off another assignment, unhappy in their job, or ready to get back to work. Ensure timely, consistent communication with every candidate to deliver a better experience, reduce no calls/no shows, mine your ATS, and improve candidate retention.
Tools to consider:
- Candidate automation tools like SENSE and Herefish.
- Other marketing automation (ActiveCampaign, HubSpot).
- Email and texting.
- Picking up the phone and calling.
Learn how you can Do More With Less Through Recruiting Marketing Process Automation
Make Your Website a Funnel-Filler
Getting people to your website is great, but you've got to get them to take action once they get there. The goal is to get people into jobs, not just get them to enjoy your delightful website.
Improve conversion by:
- Optimizing conversion paths on the website.
- Reviewing exit pages and testing changes to increase response.
- Adding more Calls to Action to your website (on every page!).
- Providing different CTAs (buttons, text, images, fly-ins, pop-ups).
- Simplifying forms.
- Giving people a reason to act now (incentives, create urgency).
- Re-engaging site visitors (retargeting ads, marketing automation).
Make It Easier for Job Seekers to Find You
No matter what an awesome resource you are for job candidates, your efforts are wasted if you can't get them to you. Get your message in front of active and passive job seekers with:
- Job advertisements
- Increase volume (advertise more jobs).
- Increase distribution to more job sites (free and paid) and social media.
- Get more current and former employees to become referral sources.
- Build networks of other referrals sources (trade schools, churches).
- Digital marketing
- SEO (continually improve website and inbound links).
- PPC (Google, Bing, and social advertisements).
- Social media (better content, more sharing).
- Online reviews.
- In the real world
- Print, media, and out-of-home advertising.
- Job fairs.
- Remote recruiting locations.
- Community service.
- Branded apparel for temporary workers.
- Business cards for temporary workers.
Optimize Your Recruitment Team With Ongoing Training
All this recruitment technology is great, but don't forget about the human element! The more effective your recruiters are, the better your results.Teach them how to:
- Write better job postings.
- Maximize social media.
- Build personal networks.
- Share content.
- Create a personal brand that supports the company and their careers.
- Regularly ask for referrals.
- Work with clients to expand the talent pool.
- Push harder to identify desired versus truly required skills.
- Discuss placing people with transferrable skills.
- Creative work options (split shifts, off-hours work, remote work).
Schedule a 2022 Recruitment Marketing Review
As we've said before, there is no âsilver bulletâ that will magically solve your recruiting challenges. But there ARE plenty of things you can add to your arsenal.
Get the New Year off to a running start with a FREE recruitment marketing review. We'll look at your hiring challenges, assess your current recruitment marketing, and provide specific, actionable ideas to help you attract more—and higher quality—talent.
If you're interested in scheduling time before year-end, just call us at 1.888.696.2900 or visit our recruitment marketing team at www.recruitmentmarketers.com.